History of Kumi Hospital

Kumi Hospital is a Private Not For Profit (PNFP) facility located in eastern Uganda, 300 km from Kampala. It is a rural hospital, which transformed from a leprosy centre to a general hospital in 1997. The hospital was founded by the Church Missionary Society in 1929 as a leprosarium in response to the need for specialized work among leprosy patients. For many leprosy sufferers then, Kumi Leprosy Centre became the only place where they could live in community without being rejected, despised and discriminated. The disease leprosy then had a high social stigma, very deforming and had no hope of cure. In the seventies, with the change of attitude, a move was made to stop segregation and Leprosy Control was integrated into the Medical service.

The years 1985 - 1992 were years of conflict, which engulfed the Teso region. The Leprosy Centre suffered total collapse both in infrastructure and services due to the war. By the end of the war in 1992, the hospital lay in a sorry state, vandalized and turned into a Camp for IDP's. The water-carrying infrastructure was also vandalized and so was the Farm that was looted of over 1000 heads of cattle. The hospital still bears the scars and the legacy of that dark period. Since 1997, Kumi Leprosy Centre by resolutions of the Board transformed to a General Hospital now Kumi Hospital.

The hospital has since then undergone major structural development, upgrading of facilities and infrastructure. To date Kumi Hospital has grown to a 350-bed capacity providing a wide range of integrated services including medical, surgical, rehabilitative, primary health care, Community Based Rehabilitation programmes and other specialized services such as AMREF Flying Doctor service offers VVF repairs and Reconstructive surgery. The hospital also maintains a referral status for leprosy and TB in Eastern Uganda. Kumi Hospital has now established itself as a preferred destination for the poor, for those who have not been reached, a centre for hope, healing and wholeness bearing witness to Christ.

Kumi Hospital (legal owner: Church of Uganda) owns more than 1000 hectares of land which had a very profitable dairy farm over few decades ago contributing to 60% of the hospital budget. During its peak production period (1970's), the farm provided all food requirements for the hospital and its enormous surplus agricultural produce and milk was sold to the proximate urban centers in Kumi, Mbale and Soroti. Revenue generated from the sales was able to finance all operational expenses of the farm and in addition assisted the operational costs of Kumi Hospital; making the hospital becomes steadily self sustaining and less reliant on donor dependency.